Discover more from Climate Water Project
Top 100 methods to restore the water cycle
Project Drawdown found the top 100 ways to drawdown carbon. We would like to do what Project Drawdown did for the carbon cycle, for the water cycle.
We open-sourced from people what they thought were good ideas for restoring the water cycle, and then organized it into a list with subgroups. We are currently still in the iteration phase of this list. Here is version 2.0 of the list. It will also be accompanied with a set of principles for how to use the methods.
TOP 100 WAYS TO RESTORE THE WATER CYCLE:
1. PLANT MATTER/ FUNGI / BACTERIA
i) PLANTING VEGETATION- Planting vegetation that helps guide water into soil, helps evaporate water into sky, help soil health. Mycelia can help funnel water to different plants
ii) DEAD BIOMASS- dead vegetation and compost can help create healthier soil, placing dead branches and leaves in path of downhill rainfall
iii) REPLACING PLANTS: replace almonds, salt-cedar etc with something less water-hungry (preferably indigenous plants).
iv) ORGANIC CLOUDSEEDING: i) ice-nucleating bacteria, fungi spores, pollen, gas-releasing algae ( plants and fungi naturally release microorganisms into sky that seed rain). ii) Reduce dust and pollution haze-seeding.
2. HEALTHY SOILS: crop rotation, mulching, non-tilling, mycelia, compost teas, worm farming, animal poop, biodigesters, reusing sediment in one area for another
3. EARTHWORKS: swales, weirs, small ponds, terracing, key line system, rocks, guiding downhill rainfall to seep into ground replenishing, gabions, zuni waffle garden
4. ANIMAL ENGINEERS: beavers, prarie dogs, cattle, earthworms, mussels, dung beetles, wild donkeys
5. MANMADE STRUCTURES:
i)UNDOING STRUCTURES : undoing dams, concrete riverbanks, hydropower stations ;depaving certain parking lots and roads, de-piping aqueducts that transport water to cities
ii) STRUCTURES : greywater, fog nets, rain barrels, qanat
6. URBAN: green rooftops, community food forests, curb-cuts, in-street water-harvesting, eddy basins, rainwater gardens, rain barrels, disconnect downspouts, downspouts to rain tanks, downspouts into soil, permeable concrete, depaving certain parking lots and roads, flood bioswales, stormwater catchment into soil & aquifers, wetlands to cleanse stormwater then guide it into aquifers below to store, with wells to bring up water stored, underground dust/soot pollution reduction,
7. SEWAGE: Compost toilets. Pee in nature. Greywater systems. Blackwater systems. Biochar, wetlands, wood chips, microbes, mussels, sequence of plants in drum tanks (Living Machine)
8. RESTORATION : restoring wetlands, coastal ecosystems, oceans, floodplains, mountains.